Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Fresh, Raw, Homemade Buttermilk


...buttermilk and the fabric from my next sewing project...any guesses?!


You can imagine my excitment when I finished sub-culturing buttermilk. Does it sound hard or complicated? If so, I guess that I "tricked" you because the recipe is so simple it isn't funny!

I'll show you how, and then YOU can have those amazingly fluffy biscuits and pancakes!!

1) Allow a cup of filtered fresh raw milk to sit covered at room temperature until it has thickened, which took me 3 days.


2) Place 1/4 cup of the thickened milk in a pint mason jar.


3) Add a cup of fresh milk (does not have to be raw at this point), cover, shake to mix, and allow to sit at room temperature until thickened again (it took 2 days for me this time).


4) Repeat this transfer of sub-culturing several more times until the milk dependably thickens in 24 hours. I only did the transfer one more time, so in total I transfered the milk and culture 3 times. Taste a small amount to confirm that it is tart, thickened, and has no off flavors (e.g. tart but not bitter).

I came away with 3 quarts of delicious buttermilk.

To make a gallon of buttermilk, add 1 quart buttermilk to 1 gallon of fresh whole milk and pour into a large container. Mix, and pour back into the original containers. The next day, the entire five quarts will be nicely thickened.

That's it, and it is much better than the old, pasturized, store bought buttermilk that we *used* to get - but no more:) Next up is how to make Cream Cheese. But first, I need to get some more raw milk with cream!!


P.S. Thank you for all of your kind and encouraging comments on yesterdays post!! I enjoyed reading each of them:)

8 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Quinlyn said...

Oh, I didn't comment on your skirt post! But the skirt was pretty and I love the way it was made! :D

I doubt I will ever be making buttermilk, but it does sound simple! :D Hmm...I'm guessing the chicken fabric may be made into a table cloth? I don't know...:)

I really enjoy reading your blog! I think it would be fun to live like you do, on a farm and being able to make stuff like you do! :D

~Quinlyn

Anonymous said...

Hi Jenna!
I really enjoy your blog!
I just love your skirt, did you hand sew it? I have hand sewn doll dresses and skirts but I have not made anything that I can wear.
Again I love your blog and I encourage you to keep up the good work!
Meghan

Lindsay said...

Hi Jenna,
I was hoping to get that pattern when JoAnn's was having their 5 for $5.00 pattern sale, but our store was out of that one! :( I was so disappointed. Oh, well... maybe I can find it on sale another time! Your skirt turned out so well, I'll definitely have to get it eventually. :)

~ Love & Blessings,
Lindsay

Caroline said...

Oh my, that looks so delish! I love buttermilk. :)

Also, I have two skirts in that pattern and love them!

xoxo Caroline

Rachel said...

I love your tiered skirt, Jenna! It is such a pretty pattern...makes me want to get sewing again!

Oh, that buttermilk looks so good! I need to do that soon.

Love,
Rachel

Jennifer said...

I have that pattern and I haven't made anything out of it.. I haven't had time because of school, but beutiful fabric to make it out of! LOVE IT!

~Jenn

Sveta said...

Your skirt is beautiful! I love that shade fo green with the white strip near the bottom. Maybe I'll make one soon...
~Sveta~