Monday, August 3, 2015

The waves that refine

The sun was just beginning to set on Shabbat evening as I listened to the waves steady rhythm lapping up onto the small beach. I closed my eyes and let my mind drift away from it's aching body (after a wonderful 17 mile backpacking hike) to the beautiful lake that I was next to. The water was sparkling like crystal as the sun slowly began to set. The day was coming to a close...Shabbat shalom {Sabbath peace}. I listened to the waves constant refinement as it washed over the sand, purifying it.

The water kept rushing onto shore...constant, steady, refining...



In my life that water is Living. And it's steady consistent wave is lapping over my life as I walk through the "desert"-sand . Sometimes slowly, sometimes rushing quickly, that water is changing perspective, giving life and truth, lifting me with strength and courage.
That water is the Word of G-d. In the same way as those waves, the water comes...

...constant, steady, refining...

The lessons keep finding their way into my memory, the water impressing them into my heart and washing away the negative, replacing it with life. 

Blessed are those who reject the advice of the wicked, don't stand on the way of sinners or sit where scoffers sit! Their delight is in Adonai's Torah; on his Torah they meditate day and night. They are like trees planted by streams - they bear their fruit in season, their leaves never wither, everything they do succeeds. -Psalm 1:1-3

When the dry times of desert-walking come, I know where I am to go. Like a tree, my roots are to be planted firmly and rooted deep in the Word, to be washed over by that stream of Water that I may become refined and steadfast. Then the fruit of living will come in it's proper season...then the testifying to YHWH's faithfulness each step of the way. 

1 comment:

Tori said...

Beautifully said, Jenna!