Saturday, November 26, 2011

Swimming Upstream

There was never a defining moment for me when I "made the decision" to be a homemaker. The fact was always simple in my mind: that God gave me the deep desire to be a wife and mother...and somewhere along the years I decided that my own dear Momma was the one who would teach me best how to be a Godly wife and homemaker, not an institution.



I did not anticipate the many questions from well meaning friends, family and even strangers to whom my conviction, if you will, didn't make sense. Never did I imagine the difficulty in trying to explain what I hope for! Suddenly my cheeks burned red in embarrassment as I found myself telling many accomplished business women that "I want to be a wife and mother".  Why was it suddenly just. plain. hard.?  Because the world continually whispers in our ear that we need to go to college, have a thriving career, fancy car, money in the bank, vacations galore, or you name it to be "successful".  

If you are a young lady who feels led by the Lord to be a keeper at home, stand firm! Please, do not be discouraged.

Dear Ladies, treasure the precious gift that God gave each and every one of you. That of femininity and grace: the beautiful role of wife and motherhood. Never be ashamed of the sacred calling which no amount of money can purchase, no college can prepare for, no vacations will shape. 


Cherish the days and years of preparation as you learn to be a Godly homemaker! Be showered with patience while attempting to explain to well-meaning questioners your future, and the joy that you have found in this upstream vision. As you stand in the river with a strong current pushing against you, may you be blessed with a radiant and contagious joy for the incredible position as a wife and homemaker that you will one day fill {Lord willing}.


Don’t be discouraged because you have chosen a less-traveled path! While the position of a homemaker is one of tremendous self-sacrifice and service, life as a Godly wife and mother is a crucial and irreplaceable calling that has the tremendous privilege of teaching, training and shaping the next generation. Most importantly, it is an ETERNAL work. Success measured by the way of the world passes away, but the legacy of a Godly wife and mother who does all for God’s glory will be praised in the gates of Heaven.

A note to the dear Ladies who have chosen to follow a “career”: Just as I prefer for others to not dictate my choices, I am in no way judging or dictating your choices in having a career. What I shared in this post is very near to my heart. It was with much prayer that this post was written and intended to encourage young ladies who are on the same journey as I. 

“For this you were called, because Christ also suffered for us, leaving us an example, that you should follow His steps.” 1 Peter 2:21
It is my prayer that each decision that I make is after asking myself “What would Jesus do?” and follow in His steps. May it be the same for you…

Blessings,
Jenna

16 comments:

blog said...

Wonderful words of wisdom, Jenna! I've received those questions and looks from people many times in the past several years, but I will say that it's gotten easier to deal with as I've gotten older. :) This path we're on is a truly beautiful one. May the Lord continue to richly bless you and your endeavors.

Love in Christ,
Lauren

Sarah Grace said...

You're beautiful! :) Thanks for sharing, Jenna!

Jen said...

Dear Jenna,
What a blessing to see your heart in this. I believe firmly that as women our most powerful influence and ministry lies within the home. Satan is very well aware of this and will have us believe that our greatest success lies anywhere but at home. If you can't tell, I'm very passionate about this very subject. May God bless you as you continue to stand strong for Him in this area.

Blessings,
Jenna

Anonymous said...

Jenna,

Thank you so much for this encouraging post. It is such a blessing to know that there are other young ladies that desire to be a godly wife and mother one day and that we are not alone on this journey. May we all seek to serve and please Christ and not the world.

Many blessings to you,
Libby

Farm Girl Hannah said...

This is a VERY encouraging post. And it came at exactly the right time. I've been wondering if I was making the right decision. I "graduated" this past summer and I was just starting to doubt myself. Thank you VERY much for this post!!!!!

Hugs,
Hannah
P.S. Where did you get those beautiful pictures?

Miss Purity said...

Dear Jenna,
Thank you so much! Sad but true, so many well-meaning friends and relatives always ask what I plan on doing for a "career"! It is very encouraging to me to see other young ladies choosing to follow the rather narrow path of being a keeper at home too! I think sometimes the evil one tries to discourage us by making us think we are the only ones in the world who believe the way we do! Every once in a while it is so nice to be reminded by the Lord that I am not alone! May the Lord mightily bless and encourage you Jenna, as you strive to encourage all of us through your blog! Keep up the great posts!
Love your Sister in Christ,
~Miss Purity
http://keepthyheartwithalldiligence.blogspot.com/

Rachel Irene said...

I love the picture of the cow, two geese, and the little girl :) We have a CD with a christmas story about "A cow, two geese, and Abigail". It's got that picture on the front :D

Elizabeth said...

AWESOME!! Very encouraging post and a very kind and nice note in the second last paragraph:).

Rubies Like Ruth said...

Thank you for this post, Jenna. It is true: sometimes we know God's best for our life but are swayed by others. I personally believe that there is nothing so rewarding as simply staying home and being a Titus 2 woman.

Side note: I posted about your recipes today on Rubies Like Ruth: http://rubieslikeruth.blogspot.com/2011/11/recipes-galore-taste-of-thanksgiving-4.html

~Ana Renee
www.rubieslikeruth.blogspot.com
www.52weeks52verses.blogspot.com

Jessica said...

Thanks for the encouragement. I have been pondering these kinds of things lately myself. I just have to keep telling myself the truth instead of listening to the lies that the world and Devil would knock me down with (i.e. that God can't make me as mightily prepared for my future from home as He can from college or that I am somehow second rate because I don't have big wigs to train me.) The truth is that God is able and glorified in bringing beauty from what many people see as disadvantage. And God has provided us with many good resources and it is now ours to take up the torch of learning in His strength and prepare to light the way for our posterity. Thankfully He has promised to tend to us, not leaving to our feeble hands the work of making us able but taking it upon Himself: He will complete the work that He has begun in us.


28 God chose what is low and despised in the world, even things that are not, to bring to nothing things that are, 29 so that no human being might boast in the presence of God. 30 And because of him you are in Christ Jesus, who became to us wisdom from God, righteousness and sanctification and redemption, 31 so that, as it is written, “Let the one who boasts, boast in the Lord.” ~online ESV ( http://www.esvbible.org/search/1%20Corinthians%201/ )

Melissa said...

Jenna,
I was once that career woman- had a college education, 2 kids and great husband. Sadly, I was never encouraged to be a wife or mother, even though I became these things too. One day, I came to my senses and walked out on my job, picked my kids up from daycare and came home. Honestly, I can't say I never looked back, because I did. In the back of my mind, I wondered if I did the right thing. It didn't take long to realize I made the best choice. Now 10 years later I KNOW I made the BEST choice. A womens duties are at home! My 17 year old daughter is now where you are. She is in training to be a help-meet, a mother, a doctor, an interior designer, a gardener,--- the list is endless isn't it....? I will keep in prayer for you and the many other young ladies in this world who answer to a higher calling-- One who knows exactly our place in this world and even gives us the instructions in His Word!
Blessings,
Melissa

Christianna said...

Thank you, Jenna, for your encouraging post. We that have chosen this walk of life aren't without encouragement, per se, yet so often the criticism is overwhelming.

Hannah Megan Boyd said...

What a blessing to read! I just started my blog today and came to check yours out after my cousin recommended it to me! It is so encouraging to read about another teenager with the same life values as me! God bless you, Jenna!
Dearly,
~Hannah

Ashleigh said...

Dear Jenna,
Thank you so much for your encouraging post... I have just graduated and am enjoying the
blessings of being a stay at home daughter/homemaker!God has given me an in home buisness of teaching little ones cooking, sewing, etc.
I love doing it and the fact that the Lord arranged it all Himself..I
just recieve whatever He sends :0)
It is very true that the world
will look down upon a desire to stay at home,serve your family, and wait on the Lord for what He has planned for the future.
It is so refreshing to meet ladies like you who have found their joy and peace in the quiet haven of a godly home....I am so glad to have found your lovely blog! :)May the Lord bless you today!

Ashleigh

Sayna said...

I have those pictures in my room!

Yes, people have asked me weird question about my career!

I've never really been quite sure. But now, I know I'll be a mom with (most probably) lots of kids!

simplicity said...

LOVE the pictures, so feminine and fresh, country looking. Keep up the good work!