Thursday, November 26, 2015

{Look at the Olives}

When it comes to life lessons, the fruit of the Land teach us many and on this universally known "day of thankfulness", I look to the olive...

A hearty fruit that is plucked roughly off the comfort of it's branches by being shaken or beaten from the tree. Falling to the ground, it is picked back up then squeezed and pressed until the oils run from the pit, it's very core. Then with heat applied, the precious oil is separated...



...like the olive, there are times in life where we too, are shaken. We fall and get back up again only to be squeezed and pressed...

the holy from the profane...

the life from the death...

On a day where yes, I give thanks for dear family, a beautiful farm to call home and many other provisions in life, I remember the olive and choose to give thanks for the refining process that I have also experienced this year. 

I could look back on this past year and see hurt and pain in some of the events that took place. But today I am making the extra effort to choose to give thanks because even though I don't understand the story yet, G-d is the perfect refiner. He grants us these opportunities to choose life and holiness amidst the pressing, so that in the end the inner core of our hearts will be purified and our lives bear much fruit.

Even though I'm mid-process of this life-refining journey (aren't we always?), I choose to reflect on the growth that the difficulties have brought to my life - much refinement, just like the crushing and pressing does to an olive in order for it to truly bear it's fruit from within. I choose to see each of the struggles and challenges as deeper opportunity to crush through the hard outer layer of my soul and find the oil that can ultimately partner with G-d and bring holiness to the world.


Thankfulness doesn't stop at just seeing the obvious gifts of life. It is also about searching for the good in every trial that presents itself in the journey, and choosing joy and gratitude. It's about making the choice to let the difficulties refine you like the olive, and still be grateful even though the steady pressing may feel beyond you at points...

Thankfulness is about going through the process of being crushed, pressed and refined and still saying Baruch HaShem // Thank G-d, in every moment between.

"And I have trusted in your kindness, my heart rejoices in your salvation, I sing to Hashem for he has been gracious to me." Psalm 13:6

No comments: