Tuesday, August 6, 2013

{ My Mini Farm-Girls in Training }

{forgive me as I take a moment to boast about my little sis's...#proudbigsister}

My little sisters love doing barn chores with me. Morning or night, these little farm-girls-in-training sit on the side of a stanchion, legs dangling, while I milk and we chat...they learn how to milk the goats too (and amuse themselves by squirting the dog with milk)...they ask questions like there is no tomorrow and soak up the answers. They can tell you why we routinely dip with iodine before and after milking, and their little eyes watch the goat herd closely for any signs of illness that they learn about. 
They know it needs to be caught and cared for right away! 


Those little sweetie pies thrilled my heart tonight as they joined me in the barn and started working. Without my asking, they just showed initiative and did! At 6 and 4 years old, they saw a need and they met it. Those girls picked up a broom and some pitch forks, and not only did they make a tremendous difference in the barn yard mess, they giggled, laughed, talked and had fun as they swept and cleaned up. 


Their eyes danced with delight as they asked if they "made my day"? 
....actually, honey, you girls made my week. 

One of the many things that my parents have done just right is that they've trained each kiddo at an early age to work hard and persevere. 
That's not to say that we don't deal with laziness or a host of other issues - we do! 
But I am grateful...very, very grateful for the time that my Mom spent with us, showing us how to wash a floor well. Bless her heart, she looks back now and feels bad that every Monday Josh and I grabbed our wash buckets and rags, and scrubbed...and I'll tell you what, at seven years old we found every hidden pencil, penny and crayon. It taught us to be thorough as we hunted for those items. 
As simple as it may seem, that lesson has remained with both of us.

Now I watch three of my little sisters as they learn how to be good workers. This summer they had a great time picking peas each day, and have the current responsibility of raising our layer pullets. I proudly watched (concealed by a barn beam) as Natalie grabbed a paper towel and went the extra mile to clean the waterer for her chick project. 


One great joy of being an older sister, is to watch them discover how fun it is to be responsible. To exceed expectations, and learn. All of my siblings love to learn. And when I have the privilege of sharing what my Momma taught me...it's an extra blessing. 

Thank you Mom and Dad, for teaching and training your children in all of the above. It is my prayer to some day pass along the same virtues to the next generation. 

8 comments:

Marianela said...

Amen! Great post, Jenna. :)

Marian said...

what a blessing!!! Thank you so very much for sharing this!

Laura said...

What a beautiful testimony, Jenna! May the Lord bless you as you continue to be an example of godliness to the little ones in your family!

With much love in Christ,
-Laura

PS. We're looking forward to butchering chickens Saturday! :)

Kelsianne said...

It is truly a joy to be an older sister. Thank-you for this sweet post, Jenna!

Kelsey

Rachel said...

Aww, that is so sweet! How beautiful for your family to see the growth and maturity of these little ones. :) That's just awesome that they are showing a joy for hard work at such a young age!

Blessings,
~Rachel~

Unknown said...

This is beautiful! How good to see little siblings not only able to do the work well, but EXCITED to help someone!!!
-Camille

Rachel said...

What a sweet spirit you and your sisters share. They are lucky to have you, and you are lucky to be able to teach them as well.
I love the artwork. The artist, Robert Duncan, lives in the same town as I do. I have a few of his pieces hanging in our home. He sure knows how to put feeling into his paintings.
Happy fall to you!

Anonymous said...

It's great that your little sisters love to help you in doing barn chores. I am 7 and my mama just red me this post.